Welcome to the Big Mountain Battle - Francais
Helly Hansen's Big Mountain Battle is going into its 5th exciting season and we want to invite you to join in the fun and excitement of a little adventure on the mountain you thought you already knew. We want to take you to corners of the mountain you may not have been to for years, send you hiking up a climb you would have never thought to do, go searching in the woods for a checkpoint, get tracked in real time by our friends at Flaik GPS and you get to do it all with your buddy.
This is a team-based event, which is open to all ages/levels and allows exploration of the entire mountain! Each team of 2 must cover off all the checkpoints lifts, runs and hikes around the mountain in a 3 hour time period. Every team will be given a course map and team card (you can download them from each venue page) and again, you will all be tracked by Flaik GPS. The top three teams with the best times to complete all checkpoints, runs and hill climbs will receive awards, but the top team will win the biggest prize of all, see below;
THE GRAND PRIZE, $2,000 WORTH OF HELLY HANSEN!
The winning team of the Advanced Course from each event will win $2,000 retail value of Helly Hansen, redeemable on the Helly Hansen website, and entry to the final Battle in theBowls in Aspen/Snowmass. How awesome is that!
CLICK HERE TO SEE - BIG MOUNTAIN BATTLE PROMO VIDEO
HOW THE BATTLE WORKS
There are 3 different categories to sign up for Battle;
- Advanced Course - This is an open category for the full course
- Intermediate Course - This course will be shorter than the Advanced course. Possible small hike, a couple less runs, lift rides and checkpoints to get
- Intermediate Course 12 and Under - This category will need to have at least one member of the team be 12 or under. This is perfect for a parent child team!
Competition Format and Rules:
- ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST WEAR A HELMET AND MUST HAVE AT REGISTRATION!
- Each team must complete the laid out course within the 3-hour time limit
- The course consists of hikes, designated chair lifts, designated runs and finding checkpoints throughout the mountain
- Both Team members MUST stay together at all times
- Both Team members MUST come within a ski pole length to all checkpoints
- All Mountain Staff that participate should NOT be wearing their uniform and may NOT use any other lift line than general public and singles line
- Teams need to obtain everything on their Team Card (in any order) and get to the finish line as soon as they're done
- If your team has not gotten everything and time has run out (it is 1pm) please just get to the finish line right away
- Do NOT go to the awards area without going to the finish line first to hand in your Flaik GPS device
- Teams have the option of going anywhere once the race starts.
- Teams will use regular lift lines (they may split up to take the singles line), standard lift line rules and courtesy apply
- ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST BE AT THE RACER MEETING NO LATER THAN 15 MINUTES PRIOR RACE START!
The way we like to start each Big Mountain Battle is with what's called a LeMans start. During pre-race announcements everyone will be required to put their skis and boards into a designated area before you get onto the start line. When the 3, 2, 1 goes you will run about 100 feet to a person with an H/H flag, run around them and make your way back to your skis and boards and head out onto course. It's a bit of a lung burner but a lot of fun and separates everyone right away.
FLAIK GPS Tracking
Helly Hansen has a strategic partnership with Flaik, a manufacturer of GPS tracking devices to use at events to track all participants. This is a state of the art device that will capture speed, vertical and distance while automatically uploading this data over a wireless network. This allows spectators to follow the race with real time results. For more information on Flaik click here.